How To Brew Compost Tea
There are many ways to brew compost tea, but we think ours is the best :) The following directions are for brewing compost tea in a 5 gallon bucket, but they can be applied to a compost tea brewer of any style or volume:
1. Fill the 5 Gallon bucket with clean water. Rain water is ideal. If you are using city water it probably contains chlorine. Make sure to aerate your water with the air pump according to the directions in step #2 below for an hour before introducing ingredients. Chlorine kills microbes.
2. Attach one end of the clear tubing to the small nipple on the Air Pump and attach the other end to your air diffuser. Plug the Air Pump into an electrical outlet and submerge the air diffuser in the bucket. DO NOT SUBMERGE THE PUMP! (Note: You should see bubbles coming from the air diffuser, like in an aquarium.)
3. Add 1 tablespoon of Earth Tonic to the water.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of Earth Compound to the solution.
5. Add 4 tablespoons of Earth Syrup. (Note: Because Earth Syrup is micronized for solubility it can resist dissolving initially. It is best to dissolve in a sepereate container and pour into your compost tea brew. Trust us.)
6. Add 2 tablespoons of Earth Kelp.
7. Water is more than just wet, it should be treated as a primary nutrient. We recommend that you stir the water clockwise and counterclockwise for 20 minutes to 1 hour to potentize, or create synergy, amongst the ingredients in the solution before use. This will energize the solution and create living water.
8. Allow solution to brew with air diffuser bubbling for 12-24 hours. It is important to utilize microbes before they hit their reproductive peak. You want to deliver them hungry, which is why we recommend brewing for no longer than 24 hours without adding additional food source.
9. Use your Compost Tea! Use it as soon as possible after brewing. If brewed properly, it will NEVER hurt your plants, even if used at full strength.
10. When using small volumes we recommend using all of the compost tea that you brew, but if you wish to save some tea for another day, simply leave the air pump on, the air diffuser in the bucket and add more food sources and catalysts (Earth Syrup and Earth Kelp, Earth Tonic), at ½ strength. This will keep microbes alive for an additional 24-36 hours.
Conversion: 1 cup = 16 tbsp = 48 tsp = 8 oz = 240 mL